Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas: Regaining my Childhood.

Growing up I believed in Santa far longer than any of my friends. I don't think I actually TRULY stopped believing until I turned 12 or 13. Of course I let my parents go on thinking I believed and finally dropped the bomb on them when I was 15 stating "I know he's not real and that you're the one getting me the presents. This is what I want this year." I remember that it truly felt like the end of my childhood when I stopped believing. I know that there are some out there who choose to tell their children from day 1 that Santa isn't real. I can tell you, however that Santa was a real man (at least one of the historical figures he was derived from).

For all things Santa both historical and fictional

This article that my sister in law posted on facebook got me thinking today. With all the stress that we face at this time of year, all of the hardships we've faced (and survived by the skin of our teeth) all year long, we deserve to have a little magic in all of our lives. With the Elf on the Shelf becoming a new tradition for many families to keep the idea of Santa alive (and our children in line) and being added to the ages old traditions we still follow (writing letters to Santa, going to see him at a store ((or Sea World if you're Floridian inclined lol)), tracking his movements, baking the cookies and setting out the milk) I thought "why not add something new to the mix to involve mommies and daddies as well?" So here's my plan.

Each year, when Lady Bug writes her letter to Santa, The Awesomeness and I will be writing one as well with a list of things that we've really wanted all year but couldn't get ourselves. We'll tell her that Santa has decided that, for some really good mommies and daddies that still believe in him (especially with all the financial woes we all face), he'll be buying  one gift off of their list and give them on Christmas Day when he brings the presents for the kids. But he can only bring ONE of the gifts for each parent and sometimes just one gift together if they both asked for it because he has a toy factory, not a factory for grown up toys, and has to spend money to get the gifts for the parents. So this is our new Christmas tradition. In doing this, I feel that I'm somehow able to regain some of the magic of my childhood. To have even more to look forward to on Christmas morning other than the smiles of my little angel.

Having Zoe has brought back all of the magic and memories that I have from my childhood and I'm happy to be helping her make memories that she'll share with her children some day. The Elf on the Shelf well be visiting us next year as well and I can't wait to see what mischief he/she gets into. I adore Christmas and all of the traditions we carry on and merge as our two families have come together. I wish all of my family and friends a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment